Sunday, February 10, 2008

A messy day





After a rainy night and a warm breeze blowing this morning, I decided a few hours this Sunday would be best spent outdoors.
This is the worst time of the year. Water, water everywere and since the ground is still frozen the wet brownish soupy mess has nowere to go. So it collects itself in ugly puddles or finds its way down the driveway past the front porch ( they never show that picture on pretty farm postcards). Beware, highly slippery when wet! Our pain is our neighbours entertainment. I am sure they get plenty of laughs peering our way.....
I do have to say our farm, at least parts of it are not the most inviting place once the big melting starts and probably will not make it onto the front page of any country lifestyle magazine!
So, what did I do today?
Well, I started by shoveling piles of shit (excuse my language, but that is what it looks like, smells like and subsequently IS). After that it was time to scrape some pathways for the once clear and now rather brownish essence of life.
Where does it go? The only way it can -which is, of course- down the driveway, by the front porch, the garden to finally puddle itself into a little unsightly pond
at the bottom of the hill. At least it is out of sight and smelling range. By the time I have things to do down there it will be well intergrated into the grounds!
All that is left to do now, is to fill the shelters with fresh, good smelling, golden straw!
Mimi, my only Babydoll sheep loves it, all the others prefer to hang out in, you guessed right, the not so perfect,soupy part of the sheep run!
Do not worry, this will not last for long, the sheep can go out on still snow covered, clean pasture if they wish to. Do they wish to? Let's not go there!
If you where thinking about purchasing some fleeces for handspinning or felting, do not crinkle your nose. The sheep will not lay down in the mucky areas, and they will be shorn in the spring before they start growing the wonderful clean fall fleeces I offer!
Now I will indulge myself with a hot soak in the tub and try not to think to much of all the snow and ice that is still to melt!

2 comments:

Deana Mattos said...

She is not exaggerating in the least.
In fact I was stuck there just a week ago on all that ice that had yet to melt.
I told my friend and sheperdess that I would not be back until after the thaw.
Fortunately she comes and vistis me.

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

That little sheep has the sweetest face EVER!

 
hit counters