Saturday, February 23, 2008

Seaweed and udders



Earlier this week I filled up the sheep's seaweed supply. They are grassfed only, which means pasture or hay, no grain. I do supplement them with salt, minerals and seaweed. To round up this wholesome diet they get a squirt of good apple cider vinegar in their freshly pumped well water.
I know, I know it does sound rather granola, but it makes for very healthy sheep and it helps to keep their wool in top condition. And remember we eat our sheep as well. Since they live so healthy I guess we can skip a beat in our diets..... at least that's my husbands excuse when I find the occasional McDonalds evidence in his truck...
The animals are pretty in tune to what their needs are, so all the supplements are free choice and the last few days they were going for the seaweed. So while refilling I noticed the udders. Udders a sure sign of lambing time coming closer. The navajo churro ewes are the first ones to delight us with newborns. Usually they suprise me, but this time it seems I am ahead of them. These navajo ewes are so skittish, it is hard to get a good look at them. All the wool on their bellis does not help eather. We will just have to wait and see. Since it is getting close to lambing time tomorrow will be vaccination and garlic/molasses drench day.


I need to let my nighbours know, since I think this is one of their yearly entertainment highlights on the farm.




5 comments:

dubaibilly said...

Just looking forward to the first pix - not to mention the chops and other bits and pieces!

dubaibilly said...

Hi Shepherdess,

You have just been tagged by the literary meme here.

Cheers

DB

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Great stories.......I love to stop by and visit and see what you are up to. Snowing here again today. I just want spring.

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Where do you get seaweed??????

the shepherdess said...

Check your local feedstores and ask for dried kelp. Sometimes a good garden store will carry it as well.
You can order seaweed, but usually it comes in #55 bags and the shipping costs as much as the seaweed itself!
Otherwise pick up a few bags when you come to pick up your girls....

 
hit counters